Our goal at YMI is to develop the next generation of courageous, motivated and successful young men. We are pleased with our successes thus far, as over 50 diverse young men have journeyed through our program since 2013.
We are transforming the mindset of a community perceived as disadvantaged, violent, and uneducated to an attitude of hope, opportunity, and ability. Our young men continue to improve their self-esteem, find purpose in their journey, focus on their academic achievement, and are determined to make an impact. We press on, and do the great work we are called to do, because our world deserves better and our community deserves brighter.
We operate with three (3) visionary principles in mind: Leadership, Unity and Service. Our visionary goals are to builD leaders, unite young men from single/divorced families, and encourage students to give back through service.
What We've Achieved
- Brought rival gangs together through reconciliation, violence mediation, and reduced tensions
- Helped our young men earn income
- Exposed our YMI Brothers to the resources and perspectives of leaders in the cities of Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Oakland
- Emotional and social growth
- A positive brotherhood identity
- Leadership and professional development
- Effective curriculum strategies (outside the classroom)
- Made a difference in the lives of over 50 young men, and counting